Friday, November 14, 2008

Unschooly Movies


Good Will Hunting (adult in many places, but great movie about doing things your own way)
Finding Nemo (letting kids go and trusting them)

Can't Buy Me Love (being yourself)

Chocolat (never shows girl at school, letting your child learn from surroundings, letting kids and selves be free)

Scent of a Woman (more anti-school maybe, than unschooling, but sooooo good!)

The Secret of Roan Inish

Uncle Buck (more anti-school, but also being yourself, having fun, doing things diffierently)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Kids learn so much from life around them)
Whalerider

Mary Poppins

Heidi

The Sound of Music

Searching for Bobby Fischer ("Innocent Moves" is the British title)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang

Whistle Down the Wind. (starring Hayley Mills and Alan Bates)

The Snow Goose (starring Alan Bates)

October Sky

School of Rock

The Wild Thornberries
Pippi Longstocking! I just love her!
Fly Away Home (based on a true story)
Explorers (14yr old science whizzes build a spaceship in their homemade lab in lieu of getting beat up at school)

Goonies
Lord's of Dog Town. Its' an excellent movie and very unschooly. About skateboarding

Stand and Deliver
The Astronaut Farmer
Captains Courageous
Nim's Island
School of Rock
The Secret Garden
The Little Princess

11 comments:

Mary G said...

Excellent list of movies, Leonie -- and I'm with you... I love Pippi! I know there are some not on this list, so I'll post when I remember them (once you get past 45, your mind goes a bit ....)

Leonie said...

Can't wait to see your additions!

Greg said...

I've not seen all of those. Interesed to see if I can get hold of them now!

Faith said...

Captains Courageous is a great movie. Spencer Tracy plays the wise Portugese fisherman and I think Freddie Bartholemew plays the young boy. The spoiled rich boy is expelled from school and through a series of events winds up on a fishing boat way out at sea. He then learns to grow up because of a close bond between a wonderful mentor and being required to do lots real life hard work on the boat.

Leonie said...

Thanks - will add it to the list...

Unknown said...

We just watched Nims Island. Very unschooly!

Leonie said...

Oh, yes love that book and movie!

Kathleen said...

We love "Love of Rock"! I've seen a bunch of these, but my kids haven't. Thanks for the list.

Kathleen said...

Oops -- "School of Rock"!

Leonie said...

Ooh, yes, nice music, too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the list. I had to read each one and describe each movie to Katie.

We filled up our Netflix Queue!

Just reading "uncle buck" cracks me up!
My dh loves Ferris!
Looking forward to sharing movies w/ the kids!
Happy New Year.