Monday, October 6, 2008

For the Children's Sake, Part II

As I read Leonie's post, I nodded as I usually do when I read her posts- and did a mental fist-pump.. Right ON!

But looking again at the post title, I was taken back to the book that shares the namesake. One of the first books I read when I began my homeschooling journey 12 years ago was For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaefffer McCauley. So Leonie's post title also brought me back to the loveliness of that book.

It is not an unschooling book, but it lays the framework of the beautiful unschooling life. It has a deep and profound respect and love of children. The author talks of how we must nurture our children, watch the process, be aware of them and show them how learning is lifelong and can be full of passion.

The author shares her journey of trying to find a school that didn't squelch that passion- and unsuccessful search and their subsequent path to homeschooling. The book leads on to Charlotte Mason, though not unschooling, again full of the philosophies of connecting, respecting children, making connections and viewing learning as a lifetime endeavor.

Lovely, lovely book!

I found it to be the perfect book to read at the beginning of homeschooling the kids.. and to pick up now and then and re-read bits. It all still applies. It is about loving our children.

No comments: